Sinus infection home remedy cures are popular because sinus infections frequently strike without warning, sometimes leaving you with no sinus infection medicine on hand. Who wants to go to the store when it feels like an angry otter is pounding away inside your face? One of the more common infections, sinus infections are infections located in the cavities in the bones near your nose, under your eyes, and in your forehead. Sinus swelling, known as sinusitis, symptoms include difficulty breathing, fever, headaches, facial pain, pain behind your eyes, and other discomforts. That’s why a sinus infection home remedy is important to keep in mind to help relieve sinus pain in the comfort of your own home. And of course home remedies are also sometimes less expensive and have fewer unnecessary chemicals than store bought medication. Just make sure to check with your doctor before trying any home remedy just in case!
What is a Sinus Infection?
Each sinus has an opening for the free exchange of mucus and air, and each sinus is joined to the other by a mucous membrane lining. When the sinus lining becomes inflamed from hay fever or asthma, the air and mucus becomes blocked or a vacuum is created. This in turn causes pressure on the sinus walls, which leads to sinus pain pain.
Is a Sinus Infection Serious?
Yes, a sinus infection can be serious and may require a trip to your doctor. The pain and discomfort from a sinus infection can be quite serious and it can lead to even more severe conditions, such as chronic sinus problems or even a brain infection. Sinus infection symptoms include headaches, nasal discharge, nasal blocking, runny nose, ear pain, neck pain, cheek pain, jaw pain, and swollen eyelids. These sinus infection symptoms can be treated with home remedies, but the actual infection itself most likely requires antibiotics. Other sinus infection treatments your doctor may recommend include saline nasal rinses, topical or oral decongestants, antihistamines, mucolytic agents, or intranasal corticosteroids.
Most sinus infections don’t require a trip to the emergency room (make sure to judge this for yourself! Don’t rely on the internet for advice on medical emergencies). You can visit an urgent care clinic as well, but personally I make an appointment with my doctor if I get a sinus infection. Unfortunately this may mean waiting a few days before seeing her, so I like to keep a sinus infection home remedy on hand to help with sinus pain and congestion while I wait for my doctor appointment.
Sinus Infection Home Remedy
Some effective sinus infection home remedy cures to try include:
- Steam sinus infection home remedy. Inhale steam from a vaporizer or a bowl of hot water.
- Hot compress. You can also apply a hot compress over your sinuses to help loosen up the mucus.
- Cold compress. A cold compress can also help with sinus inflammation and pain. It might be effective to alternate between hot and cold compresses to treat sinus infection pain.
- Mustard poultice. Mustard seed powder mixed with a little warm water can be applied below your nostril – the fumes will help clear your nasal passages. Be careful not to burn your skin!
- Spicy peppers. Eat a jalapeno pepper or other spicy food to help stimulate your sinuses and clear decongestion.
- Cinnamon sinus infection home remedy. Make a paste out of cinnamon and water and apply to your forehead to ease sinus pain.
- Ginger. Applying paste of ginger and water/milk on the forehead.
- Basil leaves, cloves, and ginger mixed into a paste and applied to forehead works well to unblock your sinuses
- Eucalyptus oil – rub a little on your chest, or mix a few drops into some Vaseline and dab on your upper lip. This works like Vicks Vapor Rub.
- Hot tea. Warm drinks like hot tea help with decongestion.
- Rest. Your body needs rest to heal, so take it easy and consider taking a day off if the pain is very bad.
- Drink lots of fluids. This helps to loosen the mucus in your sinuses.
These are just a few popular sinus infection home remedy cures to try. They can be really helpful to treat sinus infection pain and congestion if it will be a few days before you can see your doctor!