Oregano Oil Flu Dosage
Winter months can leave you feeling run down, especially if you catch the flu. The flu vaccine is great for most healthy people, but some of us can’t get flu vaccines. A natural flu vaccine alternative is oregano oil, if you know the right oregano oil flu dosage. Not many people know about the oregano oil flu remedy – mostly I’ve been using oregano in my pasta! – but oregano, like many herbs, has surprising natural health benefits.
Tips on Natural Flu Remedies
January, February and March are generally accepted to be the busiest months of the cold and flu season. It’s after the holidays, people have eaten too much food (too much candy!), they’re cooped up inside, they’re usually tired from celebrating, and that all leads to the perfect breeding ground for germs and viruses. Children, the elderly, and the immune-suppressed are usually most likely to be hit. Having a few natural flu remedies on hand (like a good oregano oil flu dosage) will help keep winter sickness in check.
If you get hit with the flu, here are some tips to help you feel better.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Flu symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, runny nose, and more. All of these can lead to dehydration. On top of being dangerous, dehydration makes it harder for your body to get better. Drink plenty of water, Gatorade, tea, and clear broth. You should avoid having too much sugar but a little ginger ale can help with nausea too.
- Get a lot of rest and STAY HOME. Don’t go to school or work if you have the flu. You need your rest and you risk spreading the virus to everyone else. Stay home if you can. If you must go out, have mercy on the rest of us and try not to touch anything.
- Take plenty of vitamins that help your body’s immune system, like Vitamin C and Zinc.
- If you have a virus like the flu, DO NOT ask your doctor for antibiotics. Antibiotics are not anti-viral medications and all you’re doing is making germs stronger and messing up your stomach for no reason. Seriously, don’t take antibiotics if you don’t need them. You can read about it here straight from the CDC if you don’t believe me.
- Take oregano oil for at least 14 days. Why an oregano oil flu dosage as a natural flu remedy? Glad you asked! Read on.
How Does Oregano Oil Work
Oregano, otherwise known as wild marjoram, is an herb that comes from a lovely little plant that thrives in hot, dry Mediterranean climates. You usually see it in Italian dishes, but Oregano has many fantastic health benefits like many other popular herbs and spices. While oregano can be taken by itself in both fresh and dried varieties, most people find it convenient to use an oregano oil supplement instead.
Oregano oil is made from infusing fresh oregano in a healthy oil like olive oil, almond oil, or grapeseed oil. Oregano oil is used to treat a wide range of health issues ranging from acne to allergies to earaches. Oregano has beneficial chemicals that can increase bile flow, fight coughing and spasms, and aid in digestion, which helps your body to fight infections from bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
Oregano Oil Flu Dosage
How much oregano oil to take for the flu? It depends on your delivery method. Some herbalists recommend taking 3 to 6 drops per day of liquid oregano oil 3 times a day depending on the strength of the oregano oil. Very pure oregano oil might upset your stomach at higher doses. You can also take 1 to 2 softgels per day with a meal if you choose to go with an oregano oil pill for a more conventional approach. Remember that a flu vaccine and proper hygiene will be your best bet in flu prevention, and while oregano oil is not as effective as a flu vaccine is can be a viable flu vaccine alternative. Ask your doctor about proper dosage instructions and check for any possible reactions with your other medications and supplements.